Gone are the days when women were considered a liability on their partners as they were not earning. Now they work hard, earn well and spend as they like. It is always better to bring a partner for shopping (reasons I have listed below) and what better partner than your boyfriend. He understands your looks and may get you some great advice on what suits you.
However, it is important that you do not take advantage of your boyfriend during your shopping dates which may lead him to stop accompanying you or a bitter relationship.
- Things you need to keep in mind while going for shopping!
- 8 birthday gifts that you should never buy for your boyfriend
- 15 Best sweet and revengeful post breakup gifts
Before we get into the do’s and don’ts of the things you have to keep in mind while shopping with your boyfriend, let us discuss…
Why should we bring along a partner while shopping
- A partner can be your roommate, boyfriend, husband, mom, sister, etc. Make sure your relation is good with then so they can frankly tell you whether you are looking good in a particular thing. They should know your likes and dislikes.
- They will act as a finance advisor if you are overspending or buying unnecessary things, they will hold you back.
- No one likes to eat alone and shopping is an exercise! We often like grabbing a coffee or lunch with our friends in between shopping. Lunch becomes good when there is someone to talk to or gossip with and also easy on the pocket.
- Share the weight. Shopping may involve lifting of bags and carrying trolleys. It becomes very easy to do this if you have someone with you. They can share the weight with you.
- The most important point your partner should enjoy shopping. Whether you like shopping or not your partner should like it. This will help you find things and navigate things easily and give you encouragement while you are giving up on shopping.
- Having a partner who is street smart will better your bargaining power especially when you are doing street shopping.
- Getting a partner may also help you save money as you can split lunch money and do car pool. If your partner is also shopping along with you buying things in bulk may also help you save some and you can do the budget split later.
So having a partner is important while shopping and it becomes really fun if your partner is your boyfriend. We often make mistakes when we shop with our boyfriend.
Here are 12 Do’s and Don’ts while shopping with your boyfriend:
1. Do not confuse your boyfriend and take quick decisions
We have seen it in movies – Do not irritate your boyfriend by confusing him. If you are making him weight outside the trial room and trying a million things and then going back and forth on your decision. He will start getting irritated and take random decisions and a fight may start on how he does not pay attention and so on. Stopping at every shop counter even when not required may also cause irritability.
2. Do add activities for your boyfriend in your shopping spree as well
It should be about both partners. So you can go to your boyfriend’s favorite restaurant for lunch or if he also likes shopping help him get something too. If he like football you can choose a restaurant the screens football. But be smart if the screening will take a lot of time he may not want to move from his seat and assist you in shopping.
3. Don’t use your boyfriend’s money
Be independent and insist on paying for yourself. It is understandable if your boyfriend wants to buy something for you on an occasion, but not always. Gifts are good but forcing him to use his money all the time will leave to a bad impression. No one likes a gold digger. This will also ensure that you spend only what you have and you understand his hard earned money.
4. Do not make shopping plans when your boyfriend is busy
If your boyfriend has already booked a night with his guy friends, you do not have to go shopping with him that day. Either find someone else or go on some other day. If he forcefully comes to shop with you he will not be able to pay attention as his heart will be elsewhere.
5. Do not make shopping plans every day
You need to make sure that shopping dates are special. If we do something every day, it becomes monotonous and boring. Your boyfriend may like shopping with you but if you drag him every day or more often than needed he may find your company boring.
6. Do talk to your boyfriend while shopping or get a couple along
It should not always be about clothes and jewelers. While you are going from one shop to other you should continue having a good heart to heart conversation with your boyfriend so that he is involved and enjoys your company. You can also do a double date so he has someone to talk to when girls are in the changing room.
7. Do not force him to give an opinion on everything
Some boys do not have an idea on few things. For instance, he may not understand scarfs and forcing him to choose between a baby pink color or salmon pink may confuse him and lead to a fight. If he is hinting that he does not know appreciate his honesty and let that choice go.
8. Do advise your boyfriend to buy something for his family if you find the deal good
If you are buying something and the sale is really good you can ask your boyfriend to buy the same for his sister or mother. This will help you win his heart. Make sure to ask about his family member’s likes and dislikes so as to get something that they will like. And who knows this little act may help you win his family’s heart as well.
9. Do things as planned
Men do not like to give too much though or time on things. So it is better you stick to your plan. If you are here to shop for groceries do not go over board and start shopping for clothes or bags. Keep it for another time or ask him if he has the time. Do not take advantage of him coming to you for shopping.
10. Do not make him carry all the bags
We often see videos in which the girl is leading the way and the boyfriend is trailing behind with her shopping bags. This is a very disrespectful practice. There is nothing wrong in sharing the weight but making him do the heavy lifting like your slave is wrong. It shows to other people that you are just using him and he is abiding by you. You should always share the weight or carry lightweight items yourself if possible. However, if you have a medical condition then he should be kind enough to help you.
11. Do explain him the logic for purchase
Men have a notion that women are reckless spenders. If there is a reason for the purchase do explain the logic to your boyfriend so that they understand why you are buying a particular item. This will prove to him you are not a reckless spender. You can also impress him by buying fewer things and buying environmental friendly and animal-friendly products.
12. Do get him post-shopping rewards
If the shopping was a dull affair. Then making for your boyfriend his favorite dinner or gifting him something you sneaked in while shopping can make up for the boredom. He may not feel bad even if the shopping was a disaster if you make it up to him by lifting your boyfriend’s mood. Post-shopping crisis management is an important step to ensure the future.
Feel free while shopping with your boyfriend
Although I have mentioned some rules you should follow while shopping with your boyfriend. I feel if you have a good heart and intentions a shopping date can never ruin your relationship. It is always better to have a good understanding while shopping. If you can achieve that not much though will be needed. And your shopping will become fun! Your boyfriend will look forward to these shopping dates.
Feature Images: Freepik
Great advice! I’ll keep these tips in mind when I go shopping with my future boyfriend.
Miss Ai says
My partner doesn’t like it much when I ask for his opinions too! He tells me not to ask if I’m not going to listen anyway. Well, honey, I’m not asking you so that I can follow your advice, I’m asking you so that I can brainstorm the pros and cons of getting this item! Haha!
Evelyn Hernandez says
Great tips, my husband goes shopping with me all the time but I am courteous and try not to frustrate him.
These are great tips on what to do/not to do when out shopping with your boyfriend. Mine’s not that interested in shopping so I usually take my mum along instead 🙂
Lovely read and tips for the ladies.
Not Taught At School says
This was a very interesting read indeed!
Being a male this certainly gave me some hindsight into a female’s perspective.
Great blog 🙂
Monidipa Dutta says
Lovely and great post and your blog is a must follow blog I must say.
Katrina Tiong says
I love the number 3! Haha This is a big YES! I am a strong independent woman and I have my own money to spend on things I want 🙂