Before we begin it is important to know that sunscreens are different than fairness creams. Sunscreen protect your skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun and yes sunscreen do prevent tanning as well but then they do not magically make you fair.
One should always do an intensive research and only use top rated sunscreen or the most well-reviewed sunscreen.
There are so many brands and types to choose from. There is some elementary research or knowledge one should gather before investing in a sunscreen.
How do I choose a good sunscreen?
Please follow the following tips to get best sunblock:
- Read the ingredients – SPF is only for UV B rays, for UV A rays make sure your cream has stabilized an avobenzone or the cheaper version – titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide.
- It is not right that higher the SPF, the better is the coverage – it really depends. A good SPF 15 and you applying it again in 2-3 hours is considered better than just getting something with a high SPF.
- Some ingredients can cause allergy- make sure your sun screen does not cause rashes on your face.
- If sunscreen does not suit you, you can use alternatives such as red raspberry seed oil, coconut oil, carrot seed oil, etc. but this should be your last resort.
- If you are going to swimming or you have an oily skin it is better to choose a waterproof sunscreen.
- Differentiate between a lotion, cream, mist etc. and what parts do they cover. You should not use a sunscreen body lotion for your face, but a face cream can be used for hands and legs.
- Also, try and see your skin type. If you have an oily skin you might get acne so you must check which cream and scent suits you.
- Also, consult a dermatologist before you purchase anything. It should not only be a sunscreen for tanning but also should help fight against skin damage and not lead to unnecessary break outs.
Here is the list of 15 top rated sunscreen lotions & creams
When we choose a Sunscreen, the options are endless I think keeping in mind the SPF, Brand, and Ingredients is the key.
1. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50+
I like it is PABA-free. So, this helps combat harmful UVA and UVB rays as which promote aging by using HelioplexTM technology. Although I am not a fan of high SPF what can we do if we belong to the Indian Subcontinent where the sun shines with all its might. It is also for all skin types. Neutrogena Sunblock is one of the best top rated sunscreen.
2. Biotique Bio Morning Nectar Flawless Skin Moisturizer
I love how smooth this is. It just splatters and leaves your skin hydrated. Also, it can not only be used for face but also for your hands and other exposed areas. I sometimes like wearing it just like a wearing a moisturizer.
3. Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Gel
A very under rated brand. I love when gel feels against your skin. If you use a razor or go for laser treatments or threading you will not like to use anything but this. It’s the best thing for oily acne prone skin. This is my favorite as it is alcohol-free, harsh chemical free, and does not have an overwhelming fragrance. So, if you need something close to nature get this!
4. Aroma Magic Carrot Sunscreen Lotion SPF 15
Again, a gift from Aroma Magic, this is also chemical free like most of the Aroma magic products. It is not harsh on the skin and apart from carrot it contains other elements as wheat germ, chamomile extracts, etc. so you will notice totally soothing.
5. The Face Shop Natural Sun Eco Clear Sunscreen Stick
Easy to carry and apply, just apply generously 15 mins before sun exposure. It is very hydrating as well. It won’t spill in your bag as it is a stick! It will also help you while you go for a swim as it is a waterproof sunscreen. The only drawback I feel it is comparatively expensive. Face Shop Natural Sun Eco Clear Sunscreen is one of the top rated sunscreen.
6. Happily Unmarried Sunscreen Body Lotion SPF 30
Vitamin D deficiency- is the latest deficiency which suddenly everyone has. This cream has Chicory roots receptor that helps you absorb Vitamin D.
7. VLCC Daily Protect Sun Screen Cream SPF 25 PA+++ With Olive Oil
I think this has just enough amount of oil, it is for all skin types. It helps you maintain your skin when it is dry but the oily skin people should not worry that it has a matte finish.
8. Lakme Sun Expert Ultra Matte SPF 50 PA+++ Lotion
Who in India has not yet tried this? I think is better for oily skin people or very sunny days. It does not stick to your Skin and of like all the others I mentioned it protects you from UVA and UVB both.
9. Dermalogica Sheer Tint SPF 20 – Light
It is very light and good for those who do not like a lot of cream or gel on their face. It is also recommended by a lot of dermatologists but it is very expensive and not that easy to get. You probably would have to order online.
10. Inveda Sun Screen Cream Gel SPF 30
Cucumber is one of the ingredients that help to keep your face cool and again this is too a chemical-free formula. Perfect sunscreen for tanning.
11. Milk & Co. Protect Me + SPF 30+ Sunscreen
We want our kids to get a good dose of the sun for their developing bones but we do not want to hurt their sensitive skin. This sunscreen is good for kids for ages 3 months and above. Even moms and dads can use it, it is really very simple and a nutritious sunscreen.
12. Khadi Natural Moisturising Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30 UVB PA++
Handmade by Ayurvedic doctors and making India proud. This is a perfect substitute for a regular moisturizer as well. It is the best sun protection for winters especially. If you are not sure whether a product has chemicals or not it is better you turn to Khadi – natural and organic.
13. Avene Very High Protection Spray SPF 50+
I know I am supposed to talk only about creams and lotion but this is worth mentioning. For people who don’t like lotion and creams here is the thing for you. I like to especially use it on my hands and feet. Yes, it is expensive but it is as easy to carry and very easy to use especially if you are very lazy to apply and rub lotion or cream.
14. Clinique SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen Fluid for Face
Sometimes I feel where is my salary. Then I remember I have bought Clinique. Do not go into Clinique addiction until you are earning a 6-figure salary per month. It helps really any skin type. Like all its products it’s a gold mine.
15. Spars Naturals Sunscreen with Moisturizer
Natural and vegan. I love this affordable sunscreen. It has vitamins and anti-aging properties infused in it. It has this cute round bottle and vitamins wise it is best sun block.
There are many other top rated sunscreen lotions too that you can check out like Vaseline and Nivea are some of the popular brands.
The final TIPS!
To get the best sun protection it is important you try the products testers first. Also, consult a dermatologist before you purchase anything.
Another important fact is how to get most of the sun protection. Apply sunscreen 15-20 mins before leaving the shade, apply in excess if needed also reapply in few hours. Carry a scarf or cap if possible. With the top rated sunscreen list, I have suggested stop avoiding the sun and go get some Vitamin D for yourself!